ThinkSystem SR860 V2 Sets 6 World Records with New SPECcpu Benchmark ResultPerformance Benchmark Result
The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 V2 has set six new 4-socket performance world records for compute-intensive applications with new results of the SPEC CPU2017 benchmark.
This document summarizes the the SPEC CPU2017 benchmark result for the ThinkSystem SR860 V2 that was published on November 10, 2020. The document lists the result, summarizes the major components of the configuration under test, and provides the link to the relevant benchmark organization’s web site for details about the result.
The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 V2 server delivers world-record four-socket performance for compute-intensive applications with new results of the SPEC CPU2017 benchmark.
These new benchmark results, published in new SPEC reports on November 10, 2020, demonstrate that the ThinkSystem SR860 V2 continues Lenovo’s leadership with outstanding performance for the server industry.
The ThinkSystem SR860 V2 has achieved the following scores:
- SPECspeed2017_int_base: 12.5
- SPECspeed2017_int_energy_base: 43.6
- SPECspeed2017_fp_base: 255
- SPECspeed2017_fp_energy_base: 318
- SPECrate2017_int_energy_base: 786
- SPECrate2017_fp_energy_base: 676
SPECspeed2017 scores are ideal for measuring single-threaded compute-intensive applications, such as High Frequency Trading (HFT) and other financial industry workloads.
SPECrate2017 scores are ideal for measuring multi-threaded compute-intensive applications, such as High Performance Computing (HPC) workloads.
The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 V2 server was configured as follows:
- 4 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8356H – 8 cores, 3.90 GHz, 35.75 MB L3 cache per processor
- 4 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8376HL – 28 cores, 2.60 GHz, 38.5 MB L3 cache per processor
- 4 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8380HL – 28 cores, 2.90 GHz, 38.5 MB L3 cache per processor
- 384 GB or 1536 GB system memory
- Operating systems, either of the following:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 8.2
The results are current as of November 10, 2020.
To view the details of these results, go to:
- SPECspeed2017_int_base (8356H, 1536 GB, RHEL 8.2)
- SPECspeed2017_int_energy_base (8376HL, 384 GB, RHEL 8.2)
- SPECspeed2017_fp_base (8380HL, 1536 GB, SUSE 12SP5)
- SPECspeed2017_fp_energy_base (8376HL, 384 GB, RHEL 8.2)
- SPECrate2017_int_energy_base (8376HL, 384 GB, RHEL 8.2)
- SPECrate2017_fp_energy_base (8376HL, 384 GB, RHEL 8.2)
To view all SPEC CPU2017 results, go to
About the ThinkSystem SR860 V2
The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 V2 server provides the speed and reliability you require today, with the scalability and workload versatility to you’ll need to manage the explosive growth of data; its design offers considerable adaptability in order to match system configurations to projected workloads.
The ThinkSystem SR860 V2 is purpose-built to deliver affordable scalability in an industry-standard x86 platform, ideal for mission critical workloads such as SAP HANA in-memory computing, transactional databases, analytics, big data, and enterprise resource planning tasks.
Up to four 250W third-generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable CPUs configured with a mesh topology pair with up to four enterprise-class GPUs position the SR860 V2 to tackle compute-intensive applications, leveraging thousands of GPU processor cores and parallel architecture in combination with additional storage and networking that’s both high-performing and flexible.
- Up to four 250W 3rd Generation Intel Xeon Scalable CPUs configured with a mesh topology combines with up to 48 2.5” HDD or SSDs, of which 24 can be direct-connect NVMe SSDs to speed database response times, reducing latency and eliminating storage as the throughput bottleneck in I/O-intensive applications such as transactional processing, HPC, and Big data applications.
- Capability to handle four double-width GPUs or eight single-width GPUs to accelerate AI inference and deep learning proficiencies.
- Support for 12TB of 3200 MHz DDR4 memory and Intel Optane™ Persistent Memory 200 Series accelerates performance for in-memory databases and applications, reducing downtime and increasing application availability.
- High I/O bandwidth coupled with a generous number of PCIe expansion slots provides the additional connectivity scalability as your business and workload demands increase.
- Full Lenovo XClarity and ThinkShield system support for seamless infrastructure management and improved data security.
About SPEC CPU2017
SPEC CPU 2017 is SPEC's next-generation, industry-standardized, CPU intensive suite of benchmarks for measuring and comparing compute intensive performance, stressing a system's processor, memory subsystem and compiler. This benchmarks provides a comparative measure of compute-intensive performance using workloads developed from real user applications.
The SPEC CPU 2017 benchmark suite measures server performance in the following ways:
- SPECspeed 2017 is to compare time for a computer to complete single tasks
- SPECrate 2017 is to measure the throughput or work per unit of time.
This benchmark is targeted for use by hardware vendors, IT industry, computer manufacturers, and government.
To learn more about solutions for compute-intensive applications, please contact your Lenovo Sales Representative.
To find out more about SPEC, visit https://www.spec.org
To learn more about the Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 V2 server, visit the SR860 V2 product web page:
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following:
Lenovo and the Lenovo logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both. A current list of Lenovo trademarks is available on the Web at https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/legal/copytrade/.
The following terms are trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both:
The following terms are trademarks of other companies:
Intel®, Intel Optane™, and Xeon® are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries.
Linux® is the trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.
SPEC®, SPEC CPU®, SPECrate®, and SPECspeed® are trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC).
Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.